ÇANKAYA, besides being a select County and district of the capital city of Ankara, due to the fact that the Presidential Campus, which is the most eminent office of the Republic of Turkey, is within it borders, has also made it a place, which is symbolized with the Presidency.
The Çankaya Presidential campus, which has an important place in the Turkish political history, is in the southern part of Ankara and is established on a total area of 438 dönüm (one dönüm equals a land measure of 1000 square meters or about a quarter of an acre).
There are the following within the Çankaya Presidential campus: Museum Villa, Çankaya Presidential Residence (Pink Villa), Glass Villa, New Service Building, New General Secretariat and State Supervisory Board Building, Aide-de-Camp Building, Administrative and Financial Affairs and Preservation Directorate buildings, Press Conference Hall, Reception Halls, Fire Department Building, Social Facilities, Garage, Greenhouse, Artificial Turf Sports Area, Tennis Court and employee housing.
There is no definite information related to the date of the Aide-de-Camp building. Despite the fact that it is stated in some records that it was built in 1922, in a book of memories related to 1924, there is no relationship between the building in the photograph stated to be the “Aide-de-Camp Building” and the building of the present-day. The Aide-de-Camp building is a single story built of stone and has undergone many restorations and repairs and it is understood that some sections were added on later. In a stone paved courtyard at the back of the building, the date 1928 is written, but it is not known whether this was written during the construction of the building or during a restoration.
Despite the fact that expansion and renovation activities were made twice at the Museum Villa, when it remained inadequate to meet the gradually increasing needs, it was decided in 1930 to have a new building constructed. Upon the request of Atatürk, the construction of the new villa was given to the famous Austrian architect Prof. Dr. Clemens Holzmeister. After Holzmeister assumed the duty on 20 May 1930, he prepared the first draft five days later and two days after he made the changes requested by Atatürk, he delivered the project draft and it is known that he presented the definite plan and model to Atatürk at Yalova on 27 July 1930.
Atatürk, after deciding on the place of construction in November 1930, left the decisions related to the construction completely to Holzmeister. The Austrian architect brought all of the architectural structure material from Austria. A part of the interior spaces of the Villa were designed at the Academy of Fine Arts in Vienna. Holzmeister, who started the construction of the Çankaya Villa at the beginning of 1931, completed it in a short period of time, such as 1.5 years, and delivered it in June 1932.
The entrance story of the Villa, which is made as two stories above a basement, is the working area and place where guests are received. Whereas, the upper story was arranged as the residence.
The Çankaya Villa, which reflects the combination of the traditional Turkish house style with the ease of life of the West, besides being the residence and working areas of Atatürk from 1932 until his death, since it was designed by taking his requests and warnings into account, it is also of value and importance from the aspect of showing his taste and the lifestyle he envisaged.
After Atatürk, the Çankaya Villa gave services, both as a residence and as an office building to İsmet İnönü, Celal Bayar, Cemal Gürsel, Cevdet Sunay, Fahri Korutürk, Kenan Evren, Turgut Özal and Süleyman Demirel, who assumed the duty of President. The Villa, starting from the ninth President Süleyman Demirel, was only used as a residence with the completion of the new service buildings. The Çankaya Villa, where some changes were made, which stemmed from the requirements over the years, was restored between 2000–2001 and brought to a condition in accordance with the original in 1932.
The Çankaya Villa, which has been a lively witness of the history of the Republic of Turkey and which has spread to all countries the feeling of trust it gives, has always been approached with love and shown respect in the period that started with Eminent Atatürk and is a symbol that is equated with the existence of the Republic.
The Glass Villa is the third building, which keeps alive the memory of Atatürk within the Çankaya Presidential Campus. Atatürk had it constructed as the residence of his sister Makbule Atadan.
The Villa, which was designed by architect Seyfi Arkan, is stated in the architectural records to be one of the luxurious villa examples of the period. The Glass Villa, which is a single-story structure, was completed in 1936. It was allocated as the residence of foreign heads of state, who visited Turkey between 1951–1954. It was used as the residence of the Prime Ministry and the Senate Chairmanship between 1954–1970.
The Glass Villa, which changed considerably with the repairs made in various periods, was restored in 1994 and a 300 meters square bedroom unit was added and it started to be used again at the beginning of 1996 as a place where foreign heads of state could stay as guests.
The reinforced concrete building, for which Mustafa Aytöre and Orhan Genç were the project architects, is composed of two stories and a basement. One section is allocated for use to the Preservation Directorate and one section is allocated for use to the Administrative and Financial Affairs Chairmanship. It was built in 1985 on an area of 3,546 meters square.
During the term of Kenan Evren, the seventh President, it was evaluated that due to the fact that the Çankaya Presidential Residence (Pink Villa) was inadequate for use, both as a service building and as a residence, it was decided to have a new service building constructed. The building, for which the foundation was laid in 1983, was completed in seven years and started to be used on 29 October 1993.
The project, which was prepared by architects Mustafa Aytöre and Orhan Genç, is used as a workplace of the units of the Presidency and the New Service Building has meeting and reception rooms and the official office and study of the President.
The social facilities are composed of a shooting polygon, a sports hall and cafeteria and has a construction area of approximately 2,000 meters square. The construction of the facility, which is composed of three stories, started on 19 June 1995 and was completed on 20 December 1996. The shooting polygon was organized with the objective of training the bodyguard personnel of the Presidency and the sports hall and cafeteria were organized to give services to all of the personnel.
The health center, with the repairs and additions made in 1996 and 1999, was transformed into a contemporary health center that can provide services with a dentist, family physician, pediatrician, a sufficient number of nurses and a laboratory for the personnel on duty at the Presidential General Secretariat.
Due to the fact that the reception hall at the New Service Building was inadequate and that there was no press conference hall in the aforementioned building, a project was implemented on 21 May 1997 that would meet this need. A reception hall and foyer, which has different functions, has a area of 2,650 meters square together with additions and a press conference hall, which has a total area of 1,250 meters square together with the other sections, were constructed. The reception hall was opened for use on 29 October 1998 and the press conference hall was opened on 29 October 1999.
The Press Conference Hall, which was designed by being connected to the New Service Building, was built underground in order not to spoil the structure of the tree grove within the Presidential Campus.
The old service building within the Çankaya Presidential Campus was torn down and in its place, a new building was constructed, which was designed by taking into consideration the needs of the New General Secretariat and the State Supervisory Board, which are composed of six blocks connected to each other.
Greenhouse, Parks and Gardens Directorate
When the old greenhouse became inadequate, a new and contemporary greenhouse project was prepared and the construction started in 1998. The greenhouse and the Parks and Gardens Directorate building, which is composed of two stories on a total area of 1,590 meters square, was completed in 1999 and started services.
Gate No. 1, which is the main entrance gate of the Çankaya Presidential Campus, is also called the Protocol Gate. As it can also be understood from its name, the protocol entrances are made from this gate.
The Gate No. 1, which became inadequate to meet the needs, together with the changing conditions, was reconstructed in 1999, also including landscaping.
The Gate No. 1, besides the bronze gate, the wall coverings from andesite stone and the landscaping, there is a 230 meters square main gate building and a 140 meters square military unit building and it was renovated in conformance with the general architecture and environmental structure of the Çankaya Presidential Campus.